Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Gymnastics and Play Program for Young Children

It was by accident that I saw a small advertisement concerning a preschool play time at a gym in a local Sunday paper. The program is available at the Gulf Breeze Gymnastics & Cheer (http://www.gulfbreezegym.com) in Gulf Breeze, FL, a short distance from where I live. Curious about the program as to whether it incorporated FL educational standards for preschoolers, I decided to visit the location and receive a first-hand impression.
Driving into the parking lot, I saw that the grounds was well maintained. I walked inside and was surprised that the building was fairly dark and quiet—no classes that morning I later learned. I located Kim McCleary (director of activities for 3-5 year olds), who was working at the front desk on the computer. The owner, Susan Yonehiro, wasn’t available. I introduced myself and explained that I was interested in learning about pre-kindergarten and kindergarten programs the gym offered. The director was happy to provide a tour of the facilities and to offer an explanation of the activities available for preschoolers.


The space for young students was a nice size room with colorful padded equipment. Students received structured activities in that room and were allowed to play in the large gym afterward with close supervision.

I was pleased that the owner and director had already inquired about educational requirements for preschools. They were aware of the state educational standards for 3-5 year old students, but didn’t have a copy of the requirements on hand. The staff used other resources to address physical training requirements for preschoolers. (A few days later I provided the staff with an outline of the FL School Readiness Performance Standards and information concerning the FL Voluntary Kindergarten Program).

I think families should have a wide range of educational resources to choose from toward the development of young children. These resources, however, should incorporate state educational standards so that everyone is helping to support young children by using the same guidelines.

Lastly, it was a pleasure to see a clean, well-organized establishment with caring providers who help develop children.

No comments: