Thursday, November 12, 2009

BPA (Bisphenol-A) Research Makes a Link to Sex

Now that BPA research has moved into the realm of male sexual function, I'm predicting that more attention will be given to the problem. Initially, I thought the research was being highlighted by the "green industry," which is not a bad tactic. The research, however, was funded by the U.S. Institue of Occupational Safety and Health. Science Daily has an article that provides detail about the research.

The renewed concern did cause me to refresh my memory about products that contain BPA. Last year I searched the Web for information about plastics and BPA because I was working on some projects for children that used watter bottle plastic caps. My fear was that the caps may containd BPA. While we still don't seem to have an inexpensive test that the public can use at home, I did find comfort in the April 22, 2008 NY Times article written by Tara Parker-Pope, titled A Hard Plastic is Raising Hard Questions. Her article provides good information from a common sense approach.

Up to now the media had focused on hard, clear plastics, but not on the lining of can goods. Now the foucs is on food can lining and some companies have started to scramble. I noticed already that some can soups have been discounted, particularly from one company that was cited earlier this week by ABC News as having high levels of BPA in its products' can lining.

Well, now that there is sexual dimension to BPA, the discussion should heat up.

No comments: