Sunday, January 20, 2008

PBS New On-Line Neighborhood for Preschoolers

I just read an article (by Mike Snider of USA Today) that highlights a new PBS on-line site for preschoolers. I went to the "PBS Kids Play" site and discovered that the site's activities are subscription based, but is currently being beta tested.

I knew it was only a matter of time for a service like this since the cost of providing activities on line is less costly than CDs or VHS tapes, etc. Also, the children's on-line market is fertile ground for marketing.

Even though I support computer use for young children, I strongly think that just as television, it should supplement not replace direct face-to-face instruction. We need to remember that there is so much more than lesson content that students learn in face-to-face instruction with teachers, particularly parents.

No comments: