Friday, March 12, 2010

Sins (?) of the Mothers

The title of this blog entry came to mind from an old Rod Serling Night Gallery episode titled Sins of the Father wherein a son had to physically eat the sins of his father. I watched the episode nearly 40 years ago and am still haunted by the idea. In any case, today I'm referring to the story of a Catholic school expelling a child because the mothers are a lesbian couple.

I'm not really surprise of the choice made by the Catholic school. Nearly ten years ago I taught an Early Childhood Education Seminar course at a junior college, and to generate a lively discussion, I asked the students, mostly home childcare providers, whether they would care for children of same-sex couples. Overwhelmingly, the answer was negative. I was perplexed at the time since I can't figure out why the child should suffer.

As to the Catholic school's decision, I'm wonder what Marci a. Hamilton, who wrote Justice Denied: What America Must Do to Protect Its Children. Hamilton has strong opinions about the Catholic's church and the treatment of child abusers. For months since reading her book, I've been meaning to highlight some of her thoughts about our failure to protect children. Soon I'll present some of those thoughts.

No comments: