Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What I'm Reading



I'm currently reading Iconoclast by Gregory Berns. I made the choice to read this book by happenstance in that I saw it on display at a library and thought I remembered something about it from a program at BookTV on C-SPAN.

Although I'm only about halfway through, one idea that sticks out is Berns's view about the pressure we feel to conform to the wishes of the group: "for most people the will to stand alone for one's opinion does not come easily. (p. 87)

What is striking about this idea is that it brought to mind a March 15, 2009 report at Science Daily concerning a research study that indicates that children as young as 3 and 4 years feel the need to conform to the wishes of the group. I now wonder whether the need to conform is innate? Moreover, can we encourage children to risk being different and standing up for their ideas without creating more pressure on them?

No comments: