Friday, January 9, 2009

Lunchtime!

I guess I should have suspected that daycare centers would be having a problem feeding children as the price of food escalates. Asking parents to supply lunch for children isn't something that I expected though. The result of parents supplying lunch, according to a Science Daily News article is that such lunch packs aren't as nutritious as what daycare centers provide. I noticed when I taught the nutrition block in a childcare course that childcare workers were nearly falling asleep during the lessons. Students understood, however, that nutrition would be evaluated in accordance to Florida standards for childcare centers. During my evaluations, I noticed that daycare centers did consistently provide nutritious meals.

I wonder now what will happen when centers are evaluated and non-nutritious meals from parents are cited by inspectors. Perhaps centers need to show evidence that they have made attempts to instruct parents about the types of nutritious food that are recommended and that would satisfy inspectors.

No comments: