Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What About the Children in Africa?


I missed an opportunity to teach in Africa a few years ago. I applied to teach in a program, but the selection process dragged on. While waiting months for an answer about the job, I accepted another job. I was selected to teach in Africa, but I was on the other job for several months at that point.

In any case, I've kept an eye out for information concerning children in Africa. Today at Economist.com I found a summary of a recent report titled The African Report Child Wellbeing from the African Child Policy Forum. The report provides a comprehensive account of how countries in Africa treat their children. One would expect the more wealthy countries to have the best record in caring for their children. That is not the case, however. Quality care of children in African results more from moral conviction than the wealth of a country. Sadly, in many locations still, the treatment of children is horrible.

No comments: