Sunday, September 28, 2008

Another Bailout

An Associated Press story on Sept 27, 2008 titled, "Father Who Left Nine Kids at Nebraska hospital Says He Was Overwhelmed." The article indicates that the wife of the man died, and the father quit his job to care for the children. One bright note reported was that the older child, a daughter, graduated high school early. I find that impressive and think tracking the future of this young woman would be interesting.

The father, on the other hand, makes me wonder: (1) about the practical decision to have nine children, (2) quiting his job, (3) leaving his children at the costly expense of the public, and (4) the efficacy of the safe harbor law in relation to its initial intent. I guess I need to do some research since I would like to know whether the father and others in this situation have to pay child support for total cost of care by the state. These days every penny counts in budgets at all levels.

No comments: