Friday, August 29, 2008

Whose Children Are They?

I was working around the house while listening to the Today Show this morning. A musical group had performed, and I caught the part where Matt Lauer asked the lead singer what message was she sending to children. I heard the tone as being negative and wasn't clear whether Matt Lauer was referencing the song's lyrics or the performers' dance moves, which I didn't see. Immediately, I wondered whether parents have ceded lessons about morals and values to performers.

I mention this because I still remember my mother telling her children that we shouldn't follow other people, particularly when they were doing something negative. Of course, there was that standard questions: If all the other kids are jumping off a cliff, would you jump? My thought is that I don't go to a furniture store expecting to purchase ice cream, so I question why we're expecting entertainers, sports people, etc. to be a moral compass for our children?

No comments: