Thursday, July 3, 2008

Little Technology Addicts

I have mixed feelings about children and technology. On one hand I think many children are overly dependent on technology for communication, and we still don't fully understand the dangers of technology on humans. Do electronic signals from a single device have any negative effects on the body? Does a barrage of signals from competing devices have an effect on the body? What about social costs as we have less face-to-face communication?

On the other hand, I welcome the opportunity to allow children to communicate differently. I'm certain children are learning more at earlier ages, but their understanding lacks depth. In many situations they are simply reacting and not thinking because they lack the development to think in complex ways.

With these ideas in mind, I read an article by Rachel Mosteller at Huffington Post on line wherein she raises concern about children becoming addicted to technology.

No comments: