Saturday, November 3, 2007

Still Puzzled

I’ve been holding off writing about my personal experience with the recall of toys from China. Up front let me indicate that I’m a fan of Wal-Mart in spite of all its faults. However, I no longer can wait on a decision from Wal-Mart concerning whether an item I purchased is unsafe before writing this entry.

In September 2007 I started purchasing packs of “ABC Tiles” (Wal-Mart item #007565661410), which cost only 88 cents each. I thought this item was a bargain for parents to help young children learn the alphabet and numbers. The ABC Tiles also allowed children to receive a tactile experience while learning sequencing and colors—all for 88 cents.



I attempted to purchase enough sets of tiles to offer an activity for at least 25 children in a single setting. A few weeks ago, however, when I tried to purchase more tiles, the Wal-Mart computer instructed the cashier not to sell the item. Initially, I thought there was a glitch in the system, but when I couldn’t find the tiles stocked at other Wal-Marts in the area, I learned a toy manager that the product was being held for testing. The manager also indicated that the item would either be found safe and be returned to the shelves or be be found unsafe and a recall notice would be posted in the customer service section of the store. Several weeks passed and no notice was posted and no tiles were on the shelves. I then inquired about the item and learned that the products could be held for testing for months.

All of this makes me wonder about the procedures being used for questionable items at Wal-Mart and perhaps other stores. If the product is unsafe, how would customers who purchased the product long ago know to check about its safety? Are all customers suppose to check the recall board on each trip to the store? If so, how are customers to know this procedure? Should customers be alerted to isolate the item until testing is completed?

Another option to check recalls is on the Wal-Mart Web site where I've checked the link for recall information (http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=51 )and was unable to locate the ABC Tiles. Also, at that link are other Web links to check for updates concerning recalled products. I'll keep checking on the ABC Tiles and provide an update in another post.

No comments: